Sunday, March 2, 2014

Decade

Today means it has been ten years since the passing of my dad. A decade is a very long time. Now that I am a mom to a walking/talking/amazing little girl, I have a very different feeling today. The overwhelming sadness of losing a parent as a teenager is starting to become manageable. Now my thoughts swirl around with how I'm going to make sure that everly feels like she knows both of her grandpas, even though she will only meet one. I wonder what my dad would want to be called. Never something we talked about while I was in high school (for obvious reasons) so now I'm left with the job of coming up with his "grandpa name". And nothing seems to be fitting, so I'll keep working on it.

Soon I want to start talking to everly more about my dad. I want to start showing her pictures, and make sure that she knows his likes, dislikes, quirks, and such. Growing up I never had the joy of a grandpa. One passed when I was four, and the other was on the other side of the country and not really a part of the family. And with this, I know that I want her to have the closest relationship she can with both of her grandpas, even if one is only stories. I will know that I have done this when one day down the road, a grown everly will reference something about my dad, and I will know I have done the best I could. 

No comments:

Post a Comment