So even though she may be little, I will work to make sure I raise Everly just the same. She will not hear me talk negatively about myself, especially when it comes to appearances. And I am thankful to surround her with women who are also confident with themselves, and not make what's on the outside the main event. So here's to raising a daughter, the best way I can. Hopefully I will get some good daughter karma since I kept my "tough teen years" down to a minimum for my mom. At least a girl can hope.
Sunday, March 24, 2013
raising a daughter
I know when I began telling people we were expecting a little girl, it was amazing how many people responded by saying "good luck". Many women seem to have fears of raising girls, and I guess I get it. I always say that boys are probably hardest when little, and girls really give it to you when they are older. For me, I was very lucky to have the best relationship with my mom, and I could not have been happier to have a daughter to share this type of bond with too. Lately, I have been really noticing comments that women make about themselves, to their friends, and to young girls about appearance, weight, etcetera. And here's where I stand - I am so thankful that growing up I was blessed with having a strong dose of self-confidence, and I really do thank my mom for this. No matter my weight [it fluctuated ALOT while growing up] or how horribly broken out my face got, I never remember having low self-esteem. Not saying I walked around necessarily loving these imperfections, but they were just that, imperfections, not the end all be all. We were not a family that outside appearances were the main focus. I'm glad that I was a tom boy, never wore makeup until my senior year of high school, and then I think we were talking strictly mascara, and I never wanted to wear clothing that showed off too much. Sure, some of this was probably just me, but much of it came from the best kind of role model.
