Monday, May 23, 2016

yesterday, another goodbye

yesterday our family said goodbye to walt, a very special man by any measure.  a veteran, a husband, a father, and a pretty great pseudo grandpa for me.  walt lived 90 years, and I got to know him for the last decade of his life.  even as dementia took over him memories, he never ceased to amaze me. just a few months ago, the family was trying to remember a specific detail about a family story, and no one could agree.  when we asked walt, by the fifth time he heard the question, and he immediately knew the answer.  the mind is a strange and amazing thing.

at the very end, there were very few things that he responded to, because he was tired, and rightfully so.  I always felt so much joy knowing that everly could still bring a smile to him.  they would sit at the dinner table, and he would tune out the rest of us, and instead, make silly faces across the table at everly, who would of course return the gesture.  everly loved her papa, and he surely loved her right back.

I am very sad for this loss, but I know that it is for the best.  walt lived his life, and now he doesn't have to battle with it anymore.  Today I'm going to share our Thanksgiving mini-film one more time, because it just feels right, and I'm pretty thankful to have caught Everly with her papa in this way.


thanksgiving 2015 from Lyndsay Lewis on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment